Home » Health, Families & Finances
UW-Extension programs enrich families and strengthen communities. Backed by university research, we work for Wisconsin families by:
- Helping communities respond to issues such as childhood obesity, financial security, and aging.
- Providing leadership for policies that help children, youth and families succeed.
- Increasing knowledge about parenting, health and nutrition.
- Offering consumers and families more strategies for managing their money.
- Reaching out to diverse families with education and resources.
- Using cost effective approaches to reduce negative family issues and build more resilient families.
Family Living Programs focus on parenting, financial education, eating well & being active, which helps families thrive in a rapidly changing world. Residents can participate in programs to help them increase their financial capability, become financially healthy and achieve their financial goals. Seniors benefit from exercise programs including Strong Women. Families of all ages can benefit from Get Moving, Walworth County’s summer walking program.
UW-Extension and UW-Madison maintain a Food Safety and Health website with food safety and preservation information.
If you have any questions regarding Health, Families & Finances in Walworth County, please contact:
Walworth County – UW Extension
100 W. Walworth St.
PO Box 1001
Elkhorn, WI 53121-1001
The three national credit reporting agencies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — have extended until December 31, 2023 a program that lets you check your credit report at each of the agencies once a week for free. Visit AnnualCreditReport.com to request free copies of your credit reports. Other sites may charge you or be fraudulent sites set […]
Are you aware there are more than $88 billion of outstanding medical bills currently in collections—affecting one in five Americans? Medical bills can be very confusing and overwhelming and often come at a time when you may already be in distress. You might feel like you’re navigating a winding maze of information to understand what […]
Helping to make renting a great experience for you! Rent Smart focuses on the knowledge and skills essential for a successful renting experience. It challenges participants to know and understand their rights and responsibilities as a tenant, as well as know and understand the rights and responsibilities of their landlord. FREE – OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
When the school-year started in September 2020, students were able to return and learn in Walworth County classrooms. SNAP-Ed funded FoodWIse nutrition educators like Lisa Krolow, however, no longer had the flexibility to join students in-person because of safety restrictions. While virtual programs were growing with prerecorded lessons and asynchronous activities, Walworth elementary teachers were […]
Encouraging Financial Conversations is a program designed for case managers, social workers and other frontline staff to help empower their clients to reach their financial goals and manage their money. Learn critical coaching strategies and tools to share with your clients so that they may achieve their financial goals, pay off debt, improve their credit […]
- Child & Family Web Guide
- Home Alone – Preparing Children for Self-Care
- The Children’s Trust Fund
- The Future of Children
- National Fatherhood Initiative
- Office of Child Development, School of Education, University of Pittsburgh
- Prevent Child Abuse America
- Prevent Child Abuse Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Clearinghouse for Prevention Resources
- Wisconsin’s Home Visitation Program
- Zero to Three
- Diet & Nutrition
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- CalorieKing – Diet and Weight Loss
- Centers of Disease Control and Prevention on Nutrition
- Center for Food Safety & Applied Nutrition (FDA)
- Choose My Plate
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Food and Nutrition Information Center (USDA)
- Fruits and Veggies More Matters
- The Lunchbox Series
- Nutrition and Physical Activity (CDC)
- Weight Control Information from the National Institutes of Health
- Healthy Recipes
- allrecipes.com – Healthy Recipes – This site you can change the serving sizes
- Healthy Cooking Magazine
- Healthy Recipes, Zonya, RD
- Foodfit – Healthy Low Fat Recipes, Diet Plans, Holiday Recipes, and Free Online Diets
- SNAP-Ed Recipe Finder
- The American Heart Association
- American Institute for Cancer Research
- Asbestos Exposure and Mesothelioma
- County Health Rankings
- Mayo Clinic Health Information
- Mesothelioma Help
- Mesothelioma Treatment
- Ministry Health Care
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- The President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition
- State of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services
- Wisconsin Dietetic Association
- Need Help with Insurance?
- BadgerCare Plus – The BadgerCare Plus information page contains links to information about applying and other resources.
- Child Care Provider Information – The Child Care Provider Information page has links to YoungStar, policy, and resources.
- DHS Customer Help – A quick way to find forms and publications related to FoodShare, BadgerCare Plus and Medicaid.
- Healthcare.gov – The U.S. Health Insurance Marketplace
- Home Energy Plus Program Information – Contains links to the Energy Assistance Application, brochures, and fact sheets.
- WI Shares Child Care Subsidy Program – The WI Shares Child Care Subsidy Program page contains links to parent and partner resources.
- Food Preservation Equipment and Supplies – Where to find the equipment and supplies needed for preserving food
- Kraft Company’s SureJell
- Michigan State University Canning and Food Preservation
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
- Penn Food Preservation and Safety
- University of Wisconsin Food Preservation
- Utah State University Food Preservation Publications
- Extension Program in Nutritional Science
- Food and Nutrition Information Center (USDA)
- List of government websites with nutrition information
- Look up calories/nutrients in a food
- Nutrition Facts Label
- Nutrition for Family Living Newsletters
- Nutrition Resources Webography from Steenbock Library and UW-Extension
- University of Wisconsin Food Safety and Health
- UW-Extension Food and Nutrition Publications
More in this Section
- Parenting & Child Care
- Nutrition & Food Safety
- Financial Coaching
- Encouraging Financial Conversations
- Rent Smart
- Planning AHEAD
- Aging Mastery Program
- Walworth County Financial Futures Incentive (WCFFI) Program
- Fundamentals in Financial Coaching Workshop
- Parenting and Family Relationships
- Food Preservation